- An ingredient list that includes milk and culture.
- Avoid additives like carrageen or agar agar. I find this to make the buttermilk unnaturally smooth.
- Find milk that you believe in. For me, that is milk that is free of rBH and ideally either organic or raised humanely.
- Buttermilk will have an expiration date, but it technically has already gone off, so I ignore that date. Just smell it and pitch if it tastes excessively sour or has mold on the inside.
- The acidity in buttermilk is what gives pancakes and biscuits their lift. If you don’t have buttermilk in the house, mimic it by thinning yogurt with some milk.
Site by Bryan Morrison