- Bulbs should be firm when squeezed
- Disregard their green shoulders and knobby, dirty outside, you’ll cut it all off anyway.
- Watch out for any deep worm marks, will cause your celery root to not store as well.
- Store roots in a paper bag in a plastic bag in the fridge or cellar. Plastic keeps moisture in; paper shields light and wicks excess moisture away to prevent mold. Also does well in a root cellar or garage.
- Should store for months on end.
- Celery root (celeriac) is the version of celery that has been bred to have a big root bundle and spindly tops (like beets to chard).
- Will have less astringency than stalk celery
- Will oxidize quickly after being cut. Store in acidulated water to keep bright white.
- Eat raw, roasted or baked
Recipes Using Celery Root
Site by Bryan Morrison