- Tight heads with little discoloration or insect damage
- Heads that are bolting (starting to send up their flowers) will be more lactic and bitter
- Wrap in plastic and keep in the fridge for a few days
- Widely available varieties: radicchio, escarole, curly and Belgium endive
- Roasting or grilling will mellow the bitter elements of the chicory family
- Cutting thinly will minimize the amount of bitterness in each bite
- Utilize the slight bitterness by pairing with some fat or sweetness or simply learn to love bitter flavors as they are almost certainly packed with more micronutrients than the sweeter baby lettuces.
Site by Bryan Morrison