- Even, tight skin. Wrinkled skin is a sign of extreme age and generally tougher cooked beans.
- Store in an air-tight jar stored out of direct sunlight.
- Generally don’t store for longer than 1 year, but an old bean won’t kill you.
- The potlicker recipe listed is my go-to big batch of beans recipe.
- Soak dried beans overnight in salty liquid.
- Making time to allow the beans to cool in their cooking liquid vastly improves the flavor of the finished dish (like how soup is better the next day) and worth the wait.
- Different beans cook at different rates. If final texture is important to you cook one type of bean at a time.
Recipes Using dried beans
Site by Bryan Morrison