- Tops-on means they were cut within the week. Greens should be perky and skin should be tight.
- No tops, probably means they have been stored for a while. Look for firm skin and no sponginess when squeezed.
- Watch out for dark spots that could be sign of root maggots that will have burrowed into the flesh
- Remove tops and store separately (use just like collard greens or kale)
- Store root in a paper bag in a plastic bag in the fridge or cellar. Plastic keeps moisture in; paper shields light and wicks excess moisture away to prevent mold
- Should store for weeks on end
- Purple and green kohlrabi taste the same
- Prep kohlrabi but cutting off the top and bottom and then peeling the skin from the sides either with a knife or vegetable peeler
- Eat raw in salads or cook like a potato
Site by Bryan Morrison