- Firm, rigid stalks
- Avoid overly wrinkled or bendy stalks
- Avoid stalks that have intense, woody fibers at their center, which will be unpalatable no matter how long they are cooked.
- Store in the fridge in a vegetable drawer
- I’ve found no flavor difference between thick or thin, deep red or green stalked plants. The redder the stalk the brighter pink the final product will be
- Avoid cooking in a reactive pan (aluminum or untreated cast iron) or risk a metallic flavor
- Pair with rich foods to balance the intense rhubarb’s acidity
Site by Bryan Morrison