- Even coloring. Dark spots are indicative of age or disease.
- Bright glossy leaves. Wrinkled leaves indicate loss of moisture due to age or improper storage.
- Spinach does best in cooler weather. Expect to see it at market in the spring and fall.
- In a plastic bag in a the fridge
- Spinach has tendency to be very sandy, give a couple of soaks to be sure it is grit free.
- Like most things, the older the spinach the more flavor it has. Baby spinach is for babies.
- Spinach can get really booger-y the longer it is cooked. Give a quick sauteé or toss with a warm vinaigrette to wilt without getting slimy.
- Raw spinach is loaded with oxcylic acid, too much of which can make some people cough. It tastes especially spinach-y give it a quick cook to neutralize that acid.