- Squash should feel heavy in your hand. Light squash means that the water has evaporated out of the flesh and it will be dry.
- Blemishes, cuts and bruises will cut the storage time down significantly. Cook these squash first.
- Store in a cool, dark place (cellars and garages are perfect).
- Avoid freezing because it will rupture the internal cells cutting down storage time.
- Delicata and Acorn Squash are technically summer squash cure like winter squash. Their skins are thin enough to eat.
- Consider shaving your squash super thin and eating raw in salads or with marinated.
- Older varieties of squash are generally darker in color and richer in flavor.
Recipes Using Winter Squash
Site by Bryan Morrison