This is one of my favorite fall dishes. It goes with everything from meats, roasted vegetables or can be turned into a soup by adding chicken broth and a grain. And it is something that can almost always be whipped up because you can use any sort of pork product (bacon, sausage, ham etc) and anything you’re already drinking (white wine, beer, apple cider or whiskey). If you don’t eat pork, smoked fish is a good substitution. If you don’t eat meat, onions and garlic will take the place nicely.
I like the dino kale (aka lacinato, black Tuscan or cavolo nero) because it has the smoothest leaf and holds its shape well when cooked for any period of time. I also always cook at least two bunches at a time because it will loose volume when witled.
- 2 bunch dino kale
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 4oz pork product
- ½ C white wine or beer or cider
- salt and pepper
- Wash the kale but don’t bother drying, the additional water will help in the steaming process
- In a large frying pan, render the pork product until it is just crispy
- Add the onion, a pinch of salt and sweat until soft and translucent
- Add the alcohol and cook down until syrupy
- Add the kale and cover
- Cook until tender
- Remove the lid and evaporate off the excess liquid
- Taste and add salt and pepper as desired