My grandmother used to make pepper relish and my favorite childhood appetizer (everyone has one of those, right?) was pepper relish on top of cream cheese on a butter cracker. The first time I made this and shmeared it on a triple cream bloomy rind cheese, I literally thought to myself, “Have I changed at all since I was 7?” Verdict is still out.
Make this in larger batches to use at any number of winter dinners. It pairs beautifully with any rich meat like pork, venison or salmon. And put it on any cheese you have in the house! Pictured above with roasted squash, wild rice, and pea shoots.
- 2lbs cranberries
- 2 jalapenos or other hot pepper
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 3 oranges, zest and juice
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 C sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- In a large sauce pan heat a glug of neutral oil
- Sautee the hot pepper and chili flakes until fragrant
- Add the cranberries, citrus zest and juice and cook until the cranberries burst
- Add the sugar and salt and cook until thickened
- Taste and add more heat or salt or sugar until it is to your liking
- Cool and serve with any of the aforementioned ingredients
- It will keep in a sealed container in your fridge for months on end